Saturday, October 13, 2012

Day 2: First Lecture and Demo with Dr. Tae Yun Kim!

Hi, this is Daniel Koh writing from Korea! Today we had our first demonstration performance in Korea and it was definitely a memorable experience for me. Thousands of people gathered to listen to Dr. Kim speak and it was a packed auditorium. I was full of excitement and anticipation.

First of all, I want to say I love Korea. I am a Korean myself, so I feel very connected with my ethnicity. I am proud of being a Korean-American.
However, one of the current social issues that Korea is facing is a high suicide rate. In fact, Korea has the highest suicidal rate in all of the world. The younger generation of Korea are suffering with feelings of depression, anxiety, stress, and pressure. Also, there is a lot of school and family issues as well, resulting in the high suicide rate.

For me, it saddens me when I hear the statistics, and I would love to do anything I can to help. Luckily, Dr. Tae Yun Kim has provided me with a once in a lifetime opportunity to travel with her to Korea and perform on her demonstration team. I am very grateful that I can perform and inspire others to achieve the goals and dreams in their lives.

Tonight was a very memorable night for me. There was a crowd of about 2,000 people and the crowd consisted of many diffferent ages. There were young students, young adults, and adults as well. They were all eager to listen to Dr. Kim speak. Prior to her lecture, she allowed us to perform. I had such a great time. There was a lot of practice and preparation involved prior to coming to Korea. Now, the time has come. We performed just like we practiced, with great transition and showing our can do spirit. Then Dr. Kim did her lecture. People were screaming and applauding throughout the whole night. I felt her can do spirit throughout the whole auditorium.

By the end of the event, I saw that the people were moved and inspired. That struck me very powerfully. Our mission coming to Korea was to inspire and motivate the youth, and tonight I felt like we achieved that. This is only the first of the different events and I am very excited for the upcoming events.

He Can Do, She Can Do, Why Not me!

No comments:

Post a Comment